Metro

PROVIDENCE

Man shot in first homicide of year in Providence

Advertisement

A 20-year-old Providence man has been shot to death in the capital city’s first homicide of the year. Neighbors told police that they found Wesley Smith lying on the ground near the corner of Dudley and Tanner streets shortly after 6:30 p.m. Wednesday and that he appeared to have been shot in the head. He was later pronounced dead at Rhode Island Hospital. Police said they are trying to find suspects and determine a motive. Anyone with information is urged to call Providence police. The city had 17 homicides last year and 12 in 2011.

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
We hope you've enjoyed your free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com