Next Score View the next score

    Dorchester mother stabbed in ambush, police say

    Daquan Sparks allegedly lured Angeleek Barros, the mother of his 8-month-old child, into a bloody ambush near the Savin Hill MBTA Station Monday afternoon by calling her to pick up shoes he had for their infant, according to prosecutors.

    When the 21-year-old Barros ­arrived, pushing the baby in a stroller, Sparks, 19, grabbed and ­restrained her while his girlfriend, Samia Jones, with whom he has a 4-month-old child, stabbed the mother six times, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

    “Miss Barros stated that Mr. Sparks grabbed her, restrained her while his current girlfriend, this ­defendant, repeatedly stabbed her,” Brian Brodigan, assistant ­Suffolk district attorney, said during Jones’s arraignment in Dorchester Municipal Court.


    Barros was taken to Boston Medical Center, where she underwent surgery and was listed in serious but stable condition on Tuesday.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Jones, 17, was charged with ­assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and assault with intent to murder and ordered held on $50,000 cash bail. Judge Robert McKenna slated a probable cause hearing for April 23.

    Samia Jones struck a defiant pose at her arraignment Tuesday in Dorchester District Court on assault charges.

    Striking a defiant pose during the hearing, Jones made ­obscene gestures toward the media and stuck out her tongue. Defense attorney ­Alyssa Pelletier entered a not-guilty plea on her behalf.

    “She is 17 years old; she is still a child,” Pelletier told ­McKenna as she argued for a $2,000 cash bail. “She was in [Department of Children and Families] custody. She was living with a foster parent. She’s now living with her mother as allowed by DCF.”

    Police arrested Jones soon after the stabbing, following a trail of blood from the scene at 107 Savin Hill Ave. to 15 ­Midland St. in Dorchester, where the attack occurred. ­Police then went to Jones’s residence at 50 East St. and arrested her.


    Investigators found what they believe to be blood on clothing in Jones’s apartment, according to a police report. ­Police are also searching for Sparks, who will face charges.

    “For those of us who remember the murders of Kayla and Xavier Ravenell, this case is ­especially chilling,” said Daniel F. Conley, the district attorney, recalling the slayings of a young mother and her infant child by the child’s father and his new girlfriend in 2004. Both assailants were convicted of first-
    degree murder in 2007.

    “Thankfully, the victim’s condition has stabilized, but the facts here are deeply, deeply disturbing.”

    Prosecutors said Jones used a black-handled butcher’s knife with a 10- to 12-inch blade in the attack, stabbing Barros in the back, leg, face, and torso, cutting Barros’s spleen and ­liver.

    “I just want justice for my child, justice for my child,” said a woman who identified herself as Barros’s mother but declined to give her name as she walked out of the courtroom.


    Barros is expected to recover. After she was stabbed, she collapsed in front of Savin Scoop, an ice cream shop on Savin Hill Avenue. The owner, Joe Conway, rushed to her, as did Page Harding, who works at At Home Real Estate, located next to the ice cream shop.

    “I ran out to help her; Joe was already kneeling down by her,” Harding said. “He started to compress the wounds. I ­applied compression to the back wound and we just kept on talking to her. She told us who attacked her,” Harding said, adding that the victim said Samia Jones and Daquan.

    Attention was also focused on the baby in the blood-
    splattered stroller. The child was not crying but appeared scared, witnesses said.

    “It’s really disturbing, cowardly, and I don’t understand why anyone would want to harm a mother and child,” ­Conway said Tuesday.

    According to court records, Jones called police Dec. 21, telling them that Sparks had kicked and punched her after she accused him of cheating on her. Sparks was charged with assault and battery and was given a $1,000 cash bail. The case was later dismissed.

    Brian Ballou can be reached at