scorecardresearch Skip to main content

Menino says bombing suspects acted alone

Onlookers paused at a memorial to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings near the scene of the blasts on Boylston Street on Sunday.Jim Bourg/REUTERS

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said information he has indicates that the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing acted alone.

Menino told ABC’s ‘‘This Week’’ that he agreed with the decision to lock down Boston all day Friday, based on information officials had at the time.

He said that a pipe bomb was found at another location and that another person was taken into custody. The mayor did not elaborate.

Meanwhile, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said the lone surviving suspect in the bombing is in serious condition and authorities have not been able to try to interrogate him.

Commissioner Edward Davis said on CBS’ ‘‘Face the Nation’’ that the crime scene from the early Friday firefight in Watertown was ‘‘littered’’ with unexploded improvised explosive devices.


Davis said it’s his belief that 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan ‘‘were going to attack other individuals’’ — and Davis said that’s based on the evidence at the scene and the firepower that the brothers had.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev died in the gunbattle with police in Watertown. The FBI said on Sunday that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is in serious condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center after his capture Friday.

Davis said ‘‘this was as dangerous as it gets in urban policing.’’

And Governor Deval Patrick said surveillance video from the attack shows the suspect putting his backpack down and moving away in time to avoid being injured by the blast of the bomb inside it.

Speaking Sunday on NBC, Patrick said the video clearly puts 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev at the scene of the attack.

Patrick says the video is ‘‘pretty clear about his involvement and pretty chilling, frankly.’’

He said he hasn’t viewed all the surveillance tapes but has been briefed by law enforcement about them.

On “Face the Nation,” Patrick said it’s hard to imagine why someone would deliberately harm ‘‘innocent men, women and children in the way that these two fellows did.’’


Patrick also said law enforcers believe the immediate threat ended when police killed one suspect and captured the other.

Three people were killed and more than 180 injured when two bombs, apparently fashioned out of pressure cookers, exploded Monday about four hours into the race. The brothers are also suspected of killing an MIT police officer and severely injuring a transit officer.