Next Score View the next score

    Patient, wife among 3 killed in plane crash

    A man on his way home after receiving cancer treatment in Boston was one of three victims killed in a plane crash about 60 miles west of Albany, N.Y., on Friday evening.

    Frank Amerosa, 64, and his wife, Evelyn, 58, both of Utica, N.Y., and pilot John Campbell, 70, of Stamford, Conn., were killed in the crash, said Sergeant Brian Van Nostrand of the Fulton County Sheriff’s Department.

    He said the bodies of Campbell and Evelyn Amerosa have been recovered. Frank Amerosa was presumed dead.


    Terence L. Kindlon, a lawyer based in Albany, said he copiloted the Amerosas’ flight to Boston Friday morning, which was arranged by Angel Flight Northeast, a nonprofit that provides free air travel for patients seeking medical care. Kindlon said Frank Amerosa was headed to Boston for brain cancer treatment.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Kindlon said he and Amerosa quickly connected — both men served in the Marines during the Vietnam War, according to Kindlon.

    “Needless to say, we felt like brothers,” he said. “Those of us who served in Vietnam, we all feel like we have something in common with each other.”

    On Saturday night, Kindlon learned the couple had died.

    “It was just a crushing experience,” Kindlon said. “He and his wife were good people."


    The Piper PA 34 aircraft took off Friday from Hanscom Field in Bedford, and crashed at about 5:10 p.m. in Ephratah, N.Y., about 60 miles from its destination, Rome, N.Y., Federal Aviation Administration officials said.

    The plane did not issue a distress call before losing radar and radio contact, the National Transportation Safety Board said.

    Heather Theobald said her mother, Evelyn Amerosa, and stepfather, Frank, a retired trucker who was diagnosed with brain cancer more than a year ago, loved to travel.

    “Very happy, very much love, very optimistic, they did everything for anybody,” Theobald said. “There were just very good people. They were loved by a lot of people.”

    Authorities on Sunday continued to investigate the cause of the crash, while rescue workers scoured the woods and searched a big, murky pond where the bulk of the aircraft was submerged.


    Wreckage from the crash was dispersed over a large area, with pieces of the plane found as far as 5 miles away.

    Material from the Associated Press was used in this report. Matt Rocheleau can be reached at