You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Red Sox Live

2

1

▲  4th Inning 2 outs

First Night pledges received by Boston

Offers of help stream into the mayor’s office

A number of businesses and individuals contacted Mayor Thomas M. Menino’s office Friday and offered money and other support to help keep First Night festivities alive on New Year’s Eve.

The offers of assistance followed the announcment by First Night Boston that it will cease operations after almost four decades because of dwindling donations and sponsorships.

Continue reading below

“Several people have called offering financial and organizational support,” said Menino’s spokeswoman, Dot Joyce. “We’ll be meeting next week with people who have called.”

Joyce declined to identify any of the entities that stepped forward to help. On Thursday, Menino told the Globe that Boston’s celebration on New Year’s Eve would soldier on.

“We’ll have First Night in Boston,” Menino said. “If we have to take it over, we will. There’s a will, and there’s a way.”

First Night Boston is a private nonprofit that has spearheaded revelry since 1976 with fireworks, ice sculptures, a Mardi Gras-style grand parade down Boylston Street, and live performances. Each year, the event ran from 1 p.m. to midnight and included 1,000 artists participating in 200 performances and exhibits at 35 venues downtown. It was the oldest and largest festival of its kind in North America and often drew a million people, according to First Night Boston’s website.

Ten years ago, First Night drew $474,000 from corporate sponsors. Last year, sponsorships slipped to $156,000. Contributions from foundations also plunged, from $364,000 to less than $50,000, according to the organization.

First Night Boston plans to lay off its small staff and close its downtown office by the end of the month. Its downfall followed news that Boston’s July Fourth concert and fireworks show along the Charles River would no longer be nationally televised.

If Menino is successful in reviving First Night, it could be one of his last acts after two decades as mayor. He is not running for reelection, and a new mayor will be sworn in Jan 6.

Andrew Ryan can be reached at acryan@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @globeandrewryan.
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.