Separate shootings in Dorchester injure two men, one critically

Two men were shot in separate cases in Dorchester on Friday night, with one of the victims suffering life-threatening injuries, according to Boston police.

A man in his mid-20s was shot several times around 9 p.m. near 107 Columbia Road and taken to Boston Medical Center, said police Superintendent William Gross, at the scene. Gross said the man was in critical condition.

A short time later, a man in his 30s was shot near 13 Marden Ave. and also transported to Boston Medical Center with injuries not considered life-threatening, police said.

Police did not say whether the two shootings were related.


After the first shooting, police closed down Columbia Road from Blue Hill Avenue to Washington Street. A number of plainclothes and uniformed officers were on hand, along with a K-9 unit, and more than a dozen evidence cones marked the edge of the driveway at 107 Columbia Road.

Officers combed the one-block crime scene with flashlights as neighbors and bystanders sat on the steps of nearby buildings.

Silky Brown, 40, of Boston, said she was in the parking lot of a nearby Burger King restaurant when the shooting started.

“I heard fireworks, but I guess they were gunshots,” she said. “Then somebody yelled ‘run.’ ”

Street workers in orange T-shirts mingled with the crowd, some of whom had stopped their cars to watch the investigation. Across the street, a man and a woman held each other as the woman wiped tears from her eyes.

Charles Clemons, a candidate for mayor, stopped his car to speak with neighbors.

“It’s another senseless shooting,” Clemons said, noting that it has become the norm for people to see crime scenes in this neighborhood, four blocks from his home.

Gross said that police were working to determine how many witnesses there were to the shooting and that they would canvass the neighborhood again on Saturday.


“Everyone that we’ve spoken to so far has been cooperative,” Gross said. “There has been a great collaboration between Boston police and the community. . . . Everyone’s tired of this senseless violence.”

In the second shooting, on Marden Avenue, police tape was stretched between two dead-end signs. People walked past the tape to their homes, and a few neighbors milled about.

No additional details on the shootings were available late Friday night.

Globe Correspondent Nicholas Jacques contributed to this report. Todd Feathers can be reached at todd.feathers Follow him on Twitter at @ToddFeathers. Jeremy C. Fox can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @jeremycfox.