Next Score View the next score

    Fire engulfs Jamaica Plain house

    A cigarette on couch may have started the blaze

    A four-alarm fire that swept quickly through a Jamaica Plain two-family home Saturday afternoon may have been ignited by a cigarette burning a couch on the porch, a fire official said.

    Most residents of the three-story house at 306 South St. were not home, and the few who were escaped uninjured, said Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Fleming.

    Two firefighters were taken to hospitals with “strains and sprains” that did not appear to be serious, he said. “It doesn’t happen that often, but when you have an upholstered couch on the front porch, you might as well have a can of gasoline on the front porch.”


    The fire did not spread to nearby houses, but did damage six parked cars — one in the driveway and five on the street.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Fleming estimated the damage at about $350,000.

    Wendy Maeda/ Globe Staff
    An EMT escorted distraught residents at the scene.

    Patricia Adams said she moved into the mint-green house 50 years ago when she was 7.

    When her parents died they left the house to her and her six siblings, and a few years ago, she bought her siblings’ share with the help of her son, who lives in Dedham.

    She lived on the second and third floors with three others and slept in what had been her parents’ bedroom. She rented the first floor to two tenants who had a pair of cats, she said.


    The tenants were home when the fire began, she said, but they escaped. One of the cats survived, she said, but firefighters found the body of the other cat inside.

    Saturday afternoon, Adams stood in front of the house as firefighters checked the charred facade and water dripped from floor to floor. She later went inside to salvage some sentimental items — her father’s military medals and her grandchildren’s blue and pink baby socks.

    “My grandkids’ socks,” she said. “I don’t have their pictures, but I got these.”

    Gal Tziperman Lotan can be reached at gal.lotan@globe.