Next Score View the next score

    Charlestown man pleads not guilty in fatal shooting

    When Pablo Flores Jr. walked into a Boston courtroom Thursday and looked at the mother of the man he is accused of killing, she was overcome with emotion.

    “I can’t look at him!’’ Susan Rawlinson said, bursting into tears and jumping out of her seat at Flores’s arraignment in Suffolk Superior Court. “Let me out of here! I can’t look at him.’’

    Authorities said Rawlinson’s only son, Steven Jones, died trying to break up a fight between Flores and another man in Charlestown in May.


    Followed by friends, Rawlinson rushed outside, but later regained her composure, returned to the courtroom, and listened quietly as Suffolk Assistant District Attorney Gretchen Lundgren recounted the last moments of her son’s life. Jones was 21.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Lundgren said that at around 10 p.m. on May 7, Jones and a friend were walking on Monument Avenue through their Charlestown neighborhood when they spotted two men fighting, one of whom was much taller and more powerfully built than the other.

    Angela Rowlings/Boston Herald/Pool
    Susan Rawlinson, mother of Steven Jones, sobbed as Jones’s accused killer was brought into court.

    Jones and his friend separated the two men, Lundgren said. But Flores, 20, the taller man in the fight, did not stop, the prosecutor said.

    “While Mr. Jones and his friend tried to pull apart the defendant and the man he was fighting, the defendant pushed everyone off of him, stepped back, pulled a gun from his waist area, and fired multiple shots at close range,” Lundgren said.

    Jones, a 2011 graduate of Charlestown High School, where he played lacrosse, baseball, and football, was shot in the chest and stomach, and was pronounced dead at the scene.


    Lundgren said Flores was quickly identified as the suspect and was named in warrants charging him with murder, but managed to avoid capture by Boston police until Wednesday, when they went to a Dorchester residence to question someone else, and found Flores, who was hiding there. Prosecutors said Flores initially gave a fake name, identifying himself as “Andre Durant.”

    Defense attorney Jeffrey T. Karp told clerk-magistrate Gary D. Wilson that his client denied the charges against him, but Karp did not address the allegations in detail. Flores pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and several counts of assault with a dangerous weapon. Wilson ordered Flores held without bail.

    Rawlinson was accompanied to the court by more than a dozen of her son’s friends, many wearing T-shirts or buttons bearing photographs of Jones.

    Rawlinson said she ran from the courtroom because she was overcome by anger.

    “I lost the most precious thing in my life, my son, my friend,’’ she said after the arraignment. “I’m here for justice today, but it doesn’t bring Steven back.’’

    Angela Rowlings/Boston Herald/Pool
    Pablo Flores (left) was arraigned on second-degree murder charges in the May shooting death of Steven Jones.

    Rawlinson said her son developed friendships because of his bright smile and quick sense of humor.

    Rawlinson also said she works in the field of substance abuse and addiction, and that her son developed a sense of compassion for those less fortunate than himself.

    “You never think your child is watching, but my son was watching,’’ she said. “When he saw someone hungry, he would get them something to eat.”

    “He just had a lot of heart,” she said. “Very courageous.’’

    Rawlinson and friends will gather Saturday near the memorial bench that bears her son’s name for a brief ceremony. Fund-raising plans are in the works to create programs that help children and families in Charlestown, she said.

    Flores’s sister is also facing charges after allegedly attempting to derail the investigation of her brother.

    Jelaine Flores, 18, allegedly contacted two potential witnesses, threatening them with bodily harm, prosecutors said. She faces two counts of witness intimidation and one count of making annoying or harassing phone calls.

    John R. Ellement can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.