The state fire marshal’s office was called to a house in Waltham on Thursday for the second time in less than two weeks for a small fire possibly started by a Molotov cocktail.
The fire marshal investigated the first incident at 44 Gale St. on Aug. 27, after reports came in of a suspicious object. No one was injured in the fire, but the house’s vinyl siding was damaged, said Waltham Police Detective Sergeant Tim King.
The house’s residents called police again just before 12:30 a.m. Thursday after a burning odor led them outside to a small ground fire surrounded by broken glass, King said.
“We believe it to be the same type of incident as last time, where someone threw a bottle against the house,” King said.
The residents used a garden hose to put out the fire, which was again smoldering against the house.
Investigators are working with the residents to determine whether they knew who might have started the fires.
After the first incident, King said that police did not think it was random.
King said these types of incidents are rare in Waltham. Waltham’s police and fire departments are investigating.Jaclyn Reiss can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org