Jared Remy pleads not guilty to killing girlfriend

WOBURN — Jared Remy, son of famed Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy, pleaded not guilty in Middlesex Superior Court Tuesday to charges that he fatally stabbed his girlfriend at their Waltham townhouse in August.

The 35-year-old Remy, who is being held without bail at the Middlesex Jail, faces a murder charge and five other counts stemming from the death of Jennifer Martel, an aspiring teacher who would have turned 28 last month.

During a brief hearing, Remy spoke softly as he entered a not guilty plea first for the murder charge and again for the other charges as they were read together: violating an abuse prevention order, plus four related assault charges.


In a dark blazer and striped dress shirt, Remy — who has admitted to steroid use and has faced steroids-related charges in the past — appeared less bulky and more carefully groomed, with a razor-edged beard, than the dishevelled figure arraigned at Waltham District Court the morning after the Aug. 15 slaying.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Remy was arraigned again Tuesday following a grand jury indictment that moved the case up to Superior Court.

Defense lawyer Edward P. Ryan Jr. downplayed the changes in appearance, saying the previous image of Remy resulted from “bad photography.”

“He is not the menacing bull that apparently people inferred from the very terrible photographs that were published,” Ryan told reporters.

Remy, who wears the name of his and Martel’s 5-year-old daughter tattooed on his neck, showed little emotion in court. But Ryan, speaking to reporters, called Remy “an emotional mess.”


Prosecutors planned to release more details about the killing in the form of a statement of facts Tuesday, but Ryan objected.

Because Remy is not asking to be released on bail, prosecutors should not be allowed to release a summary that could prejudice the public, Ryan said.

“There is no purpose in this case served by the filing of an inflammatory statement of the case,” Ryan, a former Massachusetts Bar Association president, told reporters afterward.

Both sides will be back in court next Tuesday to learn whether Judge Kathe Tuttman will allow the statement to be filed, while Remy is due again Oct. 28 for a pretrial hearing.

Also Tuesday, Assistant District Attorney Lisa S. McGovern filed a list of exhibits prosecutors have provided to the defense, including phone records, police reports, and crime scene photos, as well as a printout from Martel’s Facebook page in which she listed her relationship status on the day she died as “complicated.”


Friends and relatives have said Martel was considering leaving Remy, who was arrested on the night of Aug. 13 on a charge of slamming Martel’s head into a bathroom mirror. Authorities held him overnight and issued an emergency restraining order, but Remy was allowed to walk free after an arraignment the next morning.

Though the restraining order expired that day, Remy was ordered not to abuse Martel after leaving court.

But less than 36 hours later, Waltham officers responded to reports of a stabbing at the apartment complex and found a shirtless Remy standing above Martel’s lifeless body, his raised hands covered in blood.

Jerry Remy, the color commentator and former middle infielder, has not called a game since Aug. 15.

That week he released a statement voicing grief over the killing, tweeting, “Son or not, I am at a loss for words articulating my disgust and remorse over this senseless and tragic act.”

Jerry Remy and his wife did not attend their son’s arraignment Tuesday, but they remain supportive of him even as “their hearts bleed for the victim,” Ryan said.

Martel’s relatives packed the front of the courtroom, but did not wish to comment.

Eric Moskowitz can be reached at