Next Score View the next score

    After parade, 3 hurt, 2 arrested

    Two men were arrested on assault charges and three were hospitalized after a series of fights in downtown Boston after the Red Sox championship parade.

    Liam Browne, 23, of West Roxbury, and Kieran Boyle, 21, of Dedham, were arrested on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon — a shod foot — after three fights broke out near crowded downtown bars almost simultaneously Saturday afternoon.

    The flurry of violence started about 3 p.m., when police responded to a call reporting a fight near Central and India streets, Boston Police spokeswoman Nicole Grant said.


    Bystanders led officers to a victim on the ground, suffering from cuts to his face and head. The man was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Grant said.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Witnesses told police a man had walked by the victim and punched him in the head, knocking him to the ground. A second suspect then kicked the victim repeatedly in the head before running and getting into a vehicle on nearby Broad Street, witnesses told police.

    But before the attackers could drive off, a witness ran and stood in front of the car, preventing it from leaving before police arrived. Witnesses identified Boyle as the man who had kicked the victim in the head. He is expected to appear Monday morning in Boston Municipal Court.

    Police were investigating the motive for the assault, Grant said.

    Around the same time, police responded to radio calls reporting another fight and found a victim with a facial injury lying face down near Custom House Street, Grant said. As the officers tended to the man, a group of men ran up behind them and started shouting at the victim. That victim, who witnesses said had run out of a nearby bar to try to break up a fight, was also taken to MGH for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.


    No arrests were made in that assault, but an investigation is ongoing, Grant said.

    In the third incident, police responded to 911 call reporting a fight at 177 Milk St., where officers found a crowd of about 150 gathered around a man lying on his back with an injury to his eye. That victim was also transported to MGH for treatment, Grant said.

    Witnesses gave police a description of the man’s attacker, and officers arrested a man matching the description on a nearby street. Witnesses identified Browne as the attacker, telling police he had punched and kicked the victim. He is scheduled to appear in Boston Municipal Court Monday morning, according to Grant.

    Police also temporarily closed nearby bars Coogan’s and An Tain. It was not immediately clear if the establishments were issued citations.

    “The cops came in and said, ‘You’re done. Everybody out,’ ” said a bar employee who refused to give his name. “It ruined my day; we were making good money.”


    Coogan’s said on its Twitter page that the fight occurred across the street from the bar and “nothing happened” inside.

    Nearby bars, some of which closed voluntarily after the fight to avoid citations, slowly reopened, but workers at the doors were refusing to admit anyone who appeared to be intoxicated.

    Dan Adams can be reached at Find him on Twitter at @Daniel