One person is in critical condition after an explosion in a lab in Woburn at about 12:30 p.m., fire officials said.
State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan said the blast occurred in a building at 475 Wildwood St. shortly after noon today.
He said the person was airlifted to a hospital in Boston, suffering from burns.
The building is owned by Cummings Properties, and leased out to a “handful of bussinesses,” said Dennis Clarke, president of the company. Clarke said the the person who suffered injuries from the explsosion was an employee at the company where the explosion occured.
The fire sparked by the explosion was knocked down and investigators from the fire marshal’s office and the Woburn Fire Department are looking into the cause.
Clarke said he was told the fire was small, and didn’t set off the water sprinklers.
Coan said the explosion occurred in a laboratory contained in an industrial building.