Roxbury fire displaces three residents

Firefighter slightly injured

A Boston firefighter was injured this morning while battling a blaze in a mixed-use Roxbury building, authorities said.

Amid the brutal cold and winds, firefighters responded to 402 Warren St. at 3:48 a.m. after an electrical short circuit sparked a fire on the second and third floors, said Steve MacDonald, spokesman for the Boston Fire Department. The first floor houses a church and the top two serve as a residence.

“Conditions were just really tough on the firefighters, and winds were blowing really strong,” MacDonald said.

One firefighter was treated and released by Boston EMS for a shoulder injury, officials said.


The first floor was not damaged. Estimated damage to the other floors was $200,000, and officials are unsure of how long residents could be displaced.

The three residents were outside of their home when the Fire Department responded and were transported by police cruiser to the nearest police station to stay warm, MacDonald said.

Catalina Gaitan can be reached at Follow her on Twitter at @catalina_gaitan.