Metro

Fire destroys antiques store in Cohasset

For hours, firefighters had to battle a blaze at a Cohasset antiques store from outside because of heavy smoke and flames.
Photos by Jonathan Wiggs /Globe staff
For hours, firefighters had to battle a blaze at a Cohasset antiques store from outside because of heavy smoke and flames.

The state fire marshal is investigating a three-alarm fire in a landmark antiques store on Jerusalem Road in Cohasset, officials said.

The blaze broke out at 12:47 p.m. Wednesday and engulfed the building, said a Cohasset fire dispatcher. The building housed the Reflections Antique Emporium, said the fire marshal’s spokeswoman, Jennifer Mieth.

For several hours, firefighters battled the blaze from outside because of heavy smoke and flames. The fire was extinguished by 3 p.m., Mieth said.

Advertisement

The Cohasset police and fire departments responded to the scene, a police dispatcher said.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Allegra Sedney, who said she has worked at the store for 12 years, said she smelled fumes coming from the building’s furnace when she opened the store Wednesday morning.

Sedney, 48, said she immediately called the furnace company and shut off the heat. About two hours later, an oil pipe near the furnace burst into flames, she said.

“I just ran out of the store,” she said by phone. “It was the only thing I could do.”

Sedney said she was the only one in the building at the time. She was not injured.

Advertisement

The 20-year-old store sold old furniture and books, among other things, Sedney said. “We had such beautiful stuff. And now it’s all gone.”

Jacqueline Tempera can be reached at jacqueline.tempera
@globe.com
.