Metro

BOSTON

Northeastern student splashed with chemicals in lab acccident

Advertisement

A chemical accident in a Northeastern University lab sent one student to the hospital Tuesday night, authorities said. While the student was working in a third-floor lab of the Egan Engineering/Science Research Center, the chemicals at his workstation reacted and splashed on him, said Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald. Hazardous materials crews were called to the scene at about 6:30 p.m. as a standard response, but the calls were soon canceled, MacDonald said. The student had followed protocol by washing his eyes and body immediately and was able to walk outside to the ambulance, officials said. Boston Emergency Medical Services took him to Brigham and Women’s Hospital as a precaution, MacDonald said.

Jennifer Smith can be reached at jennifer.smith@globe.com.
Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
We hope you've enjoyed your free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com