Man jailed in Arlington girl’s assault dies

A Medford man jailed after he was charged with indecently assaulting a 14-year-old girl in Arlington last week died Friday morning after being sent to the hospital for emergency care.

Patrick Barry, 21, died at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Friday morning after medical personnel at the Middlesex House of Correction in Billerica determined that he needed emergency care, Middlesex Sheriff Peter Koutoujian’s office said Friday.

The sheriff’s office did not immediately release information about why Barry was in need of medical care, but said the inmate was first taken to Lowell General Hospital before he was transferred to Beth Israel Deaconess.


Middlesex District Attorney Marian T. Ryan’s office is investigating the death, and the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will do an autopsy to determine the cause of death, said Stephanie Guyotte, a spokeswoman for the district attorney’s office. Guyotte said the district attorney’s office does not suspect foul play.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Arlington Police Chief Frederick Ryan said his department and the sheriff’s offfice are also investigating the death, which he called “an unfortunate situation.”

“Mr. Barry made no statements about his health to Arlington police at any time prior to his arraignment,” Ryan said in a statement.

Barry was taken to the jail Feb. 14 after he pleaded not guilty in Cambridge District Court to a charge of indecent assault and battery on a person 14 years or older. He was being held on $1 million cash bail.

According to Koutoujian’s office, after Barry arrived at the jail he underwent a routine medical screening.


Barry was arrested after he allegedly approached a 14-year-old girl in the area of Summer and Mill streets at about 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 11 and touched her inappropriately, police said.

The girl told police that her attacker was a white man in his early 20s, with gelled hair and mirrored glasses. This description matched Barry, who was on probation and was being monitored by GPS, police said. Officers used Barry’s GPS log to place him at the location of the assault at the reported time, police said. He was arrested Wednesday, Feb. 12, in his home.

His bail was then revoked in open cases out of Suffolk County, the Middlesex district attorney’s office said. He had been indicted on two counts of assault with intent to rape in July after he allegedly attacked two women near Northeastern University.

Brock Parker can be reached at