Metro

Ogunquit, Maine

Carbon monoxide at resort hotel sickens 21, with 7 hospitalized

Carbon monoxide sent seven people to the hospital and forced the evacuation of a building at an InnSeason Resorts hotel in Ogunquit Sunday afternoon, Maine emergency officials said. Nine ambulances were sent to the Falls at Ogunquit on Route 1 Sunday and one of the hotel’s buildings was evacuated. Fourteen people were treated at the scene and seven others were taken to two area hospitals for further evaluation, said York Fire Chief Mark O’Brien. The victims were expected to be released Sunday. None of those affected suffered serious injuries, officials said. O’Brien said carbon monoxide readings in the basement were 10 times more than normal levels, and the building did not have carbon monoxide detectors. A woman who answered the phone at the 77-room hotel said hotel officials had no comment.

Advertisement