Winchester brothers face drug charges after fatal overdose

Allegedly sold heroin to victim

Two brothers from Winchester allegedly involved in selling heroin to a Quincy man minutes before he overdosed in February pleaded not guilty to drug charges Tuesday, police said.

Timothy Sabbag, 24, and his brother, Nicholas Sabbag, 18, were arrested Friday in connection with an investigation into the death of a 25-year-old man who overdosed on heroin in Winchester several months ago, the town’s police chief, Kenneth Albertelli, said in a statement.

A judge set bail at $3,500 for Timothy Sabbag, and $500 for Nicholas Sabbag at their arraignment in Woburn District Court, said Jeffrey Shapiro, a spokesman for the court. It was unclear whether either brother posted bail.


Timothy Sabbag is charged with distribution of drugs, including heroin, and conspiracy to violate the Controlled Substances Act.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Nicholas Sabbag is facing charges of distribution of diazepam and conspiracy to violate the Controlled Substances Act.

Police learned through phone records that the victim allegedly communicated and met with Timothy Sabbag 12 minutes before the victim called 911. Emergency workers found the victim unresponsive in his car minutes later, Albertelli said.

After an investigation, police arrested Timothy Sabbag in a parking lot in Winchester on Friday, and subsequently searched his home, where Nicholas Sabbag was arrested, Albertelli said.

Police allegedly found thousands of dollars in cash and large quantities of marijuana, heroin, and various other drugs and drug paraphernalia in the brothers’ home on James Street.


“Today we are seeing the results of extremely hard work by the Winchester Police Department and our partner agencies,” Albertelli said in the statement. “The amazing level of cooperation that exists among municipal and regional law enforcement groups helped this case come together, and a pair of drug dealers won’t be selling their poison in our community anymore.”

Trisha Thadani can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @TrishaThadani.