Seven shot outside New Bedford bar

NEW BEDFORD — After seven people were shot in a fight outside Jalice Cafe early Saturday morning, the city’s mayor called for an investigation of the restaurant and bar as neighbors called the spot a magnet for trouble.

Three men and three women in their 20s, as well as a 19-year-old man, were shot outside the bar after a fight broke out early Saturday morning, New Bedford police said.

A man leaving an event at Jalice Cafe, 1468 Acushnet Ave., around 1 a.m. found someone had put a drink on his car and got angry, police said in a statement. The man slapped the drink off his car and then hit a patron leaving the bar. Patrons started shoving one another in the large crowd, and gunfire broke out, the statement said.


Police arrived around 1:30 a.m. to find two people with gunshot wounds — one in the lower leg, one in an elbow. They found 10 shell casings on the sidewalk and in the street, and there were bullet holes in a nearby business.

Five more people with gunshot wounds, all in their lower legs, soon arrived at St. Luke’s Hospital, Sergeant Dean Fredericks, a detective, said in a phone interview. The injuries are not life-threatening, he said.

In a separate event, a 22-year-old New Bedford man died Saturday morning after being stabbed Thursday night.

According to a statement from Bristol District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter’s office, Alex Silva walked into the South End police station suffering from a stab wound at 6:45 p.m. Thursday. Silva was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital in New Bedford and later to Rhode Island Hospital, where he died.

Marco Shane Ramos, 25, of New Bedford has been charged in connection to the case, the statement said. Ramos was arrested at his home Friday and will be charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon causing serious bodily injury and armed robbery.


In the Jalice Cafe case, Mayor Jon Mitchell said police had closed the bar Saturday and its owners will come before the city’s licensing board Wednesday.

“We will not tolerate this sort of violence in our community,” Mitchell said in an e-mailed statement. “The city is taking swift, direct action with respect to the bar involved in the incident.”

The city’s licensing board will try to determine whether bar owners and employees had a role in the fight and whether the city should sanction them, the mayor said.

The investigation is the police’s “top priority,” he said.

Doors to the bar were locked Saturday evening. On busy Acushnet Street, people walked by questioning what happened and why the establishment was shut down. There was no sign announcing the closing.

Next door at Cafe Monte Carlo, owner Tony Pereira stood outside smoking a cigarette.

“There’s fighting out here all the time,” he said. “But nothing like that. Not shooting guns.”

Police had not made any arrests as of Saturday evening. Anyone with information about the shooting can call Detective William Westgate at 508-991-6300, ext. 136.

Globe correspondent Gal Tziperman Lotan contributed to this article. Derek J. Anderson can be reached at derek.anderson@globe.com. Melissa Hanson can be reached at melissa.hanson@globe.com.