fb-pixel Skip to main content

49-year-old woman killed in Springfield blaze

A woman died as her daughter escaped a one-alarm fire in Springfield Sunday that was probably caused by faulty wiring.

When firefighters arrived at 25-27 Converse St. around 4 a.m., they saw a woman on the roof of a second-floor porch who had escaped through a window on the top floor, Springfield Fire Department spokesman Dennis Leger said.

As firefighters extended a ladder and brought her to the ground, she told them her mother was still inside the house, Leger said.

“Her mother was on the floor in the kitchen, brought outside, and given CPR immediately,” Leger said.

Thoa Vu, 49, was brought to Baystate Medical Center , where she later died, Leger said.


Twelve people were displaced by the fire.

Investigators from the Springfield Arson and Bomb Squad and state fire marshal’s office determined the fire started in electrical wiring in the top-floor bathroom, Leger said.

Leger estimated the damage at about $65,000. The 2½-story house near Forest Park, a 3,081-square-foot multifamily residence, was built in 1915, according to city records.

Gal Tziperman Lotan can be reached at gal.lotan@globe.com.