fb-pixel Skip to main content

Stepped-up security planned for Head of Charles

Head of the Charles Regatta director Fred Schoch said that “no stone will be left unturned” in preparing for this year’s event.
Head of the Charles Regatta director Fred Schoch said that “no stone will be left unturned” in preparing for this year’s event.John Bohn/Globe Staff/ File 2000

Local law enforcement agencies are stepping up security for this year's Head of the Charles Regatta, which begins in little more than a week, the regatta director said Monday.

Fred Schoch said that "no stone will be left unturned" in preparing for this year's regatta, to be held Oct. 18-19.

Schoch declined to provide specifics about the security plan, saying "the less that is made public, the better."

The Head of the Charles Regatta has brought the world's best crew teams to the banks of the Charles River for the rowing competition since 1965. It attracts over 11,000 athletes and 400,000 spectators annually, according to its website.

Advertisement



"It goes without saying" that security for such events has been heightened since the April 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, Schoch said. "We have been working with the state and local officials to put together a very concrete security plan for the event."

Schoch said regatta officials have been collaborating with state and local agencies, including the State Police, the Department of Conservation and Recreation, and the police and fire departments of Cambridge and Boston.

He said security would be tighter in areas that are more densely populated, including near the finish line.

David Procopio, State Police spokesman, said there would be no substantial variation from last year's security plan.

He said the measures are "not because of intelligence suggesting there will be any problems, but it's just standard procedure" since the Marathon bombing.

Trisha Thadani can be reached at trisha.thadani@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @TrishaThadani.