Tom Menino has been a regular on the front page of The Boston Globe for more than twenty years, from his elevation as interim mayor to his life after public office. This is what the coverage looked like as it happened.
The month after Menino took over for the departing Ray Flynn, The Globe profiled him in his efforts to win a full term in November. On the lower left-hand side of the page, the article points to “his devotion to detail and to the plight of the average citizen.”
Menino would log a convincing victory over James T. Brett to begin his first four-year stint on the job. “His winning majority crossed neighborhood and ideological lines and toppled the time-tested maxim that only Irish-Americans could lead the city of Boston,” The Globe wrote.
Menino put in place a deal to privatize Boston City Hospital by merging it with BU Medical Center. The Globe wrote that Menino considered the agreement, which would create Boston Medical Center, “the most important thing he will do as mayor.”
As he entered his second full term, Menino laid out plans for a massive waterfront redevelopment in the Seaport district (bottom left). Of all the changes Boston saw during Menino’s tenure, the transformation of that area would be among the most pronounced.
Menino also faced criticism for his handling of the Seaport development, as residents of other communities faulted his decision to direct many of the benefits toward South Boston.
In a State of the City address, Menino laid out his agenda for a momentous year — one in which the Democratic National Convention would come to Boston and make him a speaker. He also heard protests from members of the city workers’ union who were upset by an ongoing dispute with the mayor.
As Menino steamed toward victory in the race for a record fifth term, the Sunday Globe looked at his extensive political operation. The story described City Hall as “a place where not even the most trivial slights go unnoticed and the smallest opportunities unnourished.”
With another election season on the horizon and his strength sapped by illness, Menino told the city that he would not seek another term in office. The Globe wrote: “No longer, he said, did he possess the stamina to be the tireless neighborhood champion who for two decades drew his energy from the politics of ribbon cuttings, school plays, and chance meetings with residents.”
With Martin J. Walsh elected his successor, the Sunday Globe spent time with Menino as he prepared to leave office. “Boston’s longest serving mayor is packing to leave,” the story said. “Every minute brings him closer to the end, at 10 a.m. Monday.”
Just months after leaving office and taking a position at Boston University, Menino told the Globe that he had been diagnosed with advanced cancer.
Of the ripples from Donald Trump’s 2016 splash, Brown’s ascension to ambassador ranks among the most unlikely. And, for the former US senator, the most fortunate.Continue reading »
The 5-year-old service dog came into Jessica Kensky and Patrick Downes’ lives after they were injured in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.Continue reading »
Despite allegations by an intern, a special agent in the Internal Revenue Service’s criminal investigation office in Boston has not been charged with any crimes.Continue reading »
A sleek, relatively new vaping device called a “Juul” has school administrators sending warning e-mails home.Continue reading »
A Boston Marathon survivor’s journey as she debates whether to live with pain or become a double-amputee.Continue reading »
Ten puppies brought to New Hampshire and Vermont on Nov. 9 have potentially been infected with a bacterial disease known as leptospirosis and two of them had to be euthanized, according to New Hampshire health officials.Continue reading »
Robert F. Kennedy took on some of the Kennedy Administration’s hardest tasks, ones that created dangerous foes, and after the assassination, RFK wondered if one of them had done it.Continue reading »
The Supermax prison houses the worst of the worst. And Dzhokhar Tsarnaev may soon call it home.Continue reading »
The recall involves about 40.5 million extinguishers made between 1973 and Aug. 2017. Check this list to see if any of yours are part of the recall.Continue reading »