Next Score View the next score

    National Guard rescues Scituate residents

    Marshfield investigates collapsed seawall

    SCITUATE — The Massachusetts Army National Guard has two teams of trucks in Scituate where they are helping local public safety personnel with high-water rescues, said First Sergeant Don Veitch, a Guard spokesman.

    As of 5 p.m., Guard members had participated in six missions, he said. In one rescue, a light medium tactical vehicle carrying evacuees drove across a section of Scituate Avenue that was flooded in several feet of water. As they drove away with two rescuers sitting in the back of the truck wearing orange dive gear, a group of people gathered on a front porch yelled “Thank you” and “USA! USA!”

    The evacuees were let off at the intersection of Scituate Avenue and Barker Road and put into a Scituate police SUV. Another rescue involving National Guard personnel took place on Turner Road, Veitch said.


    The Army National Guard members driving the trucks are from the 1058 Transportation Company in Hingham, he said. Veitch said he expected their services to be called upon again as the afternoon high tide progressed.

    Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
    The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    “It’s going to become quite precarious,” Veitch said.

    Lisa Caisse said she called rescuers for help at about 5 a.m. Tuesday after a rock hit a storm shutter on her home in the Humarock section of this South Shore town. She said she thought she could ride out the storm with her husband and 14-year-old Labrador retriever, Casey, because the home is equipped with a generator.

    The rock caused “a dent like I’ve never seen,” she said.

    When she evacuated her home on Central Avenue, Caisse said nine inches of water sloshed in the basement and water was spraying through a side door.


    “The storm came down both sides of the house,” she said. “It took out the wall that would have protected our door.”

    A rescue truck drove Caisse and her dog to a parking lot at the intersection of Central Avenue and Harvard Street where a Scituate police sergeant waited to pick them up. She said she was headed to an emergency shelter in Scituate.

    “Sometimes you make bad decisions,” Caisse said with a laugh. “This was a bad decision.”

    Scituate officials, in a series of postings on the town’s website, reported that some parts of the community not typically touched by storm-driven flooding were being affected Tuesday. Wires were down, causing power outages not expected to be restored until sometime Wednesday.

    As in many other communities, officials decided to keep the Scituate schools closed on Wednesday.


    How much damage the town sustained won’t be known until after the flood water subsides. A second wave of flooding is expected with the evening’s high tide, officials said.

    Winds gusted neared 60 miles an hour in Humarock and some residents from Marion, Surfside, Jericho, and Central streets were evacuated. By mid-afternoon, 19 residents were sheltering at Scituate High School.

    While some people were being rescued, others found a way to get around in the difficult conditions in Scituate.

    Three runners spent part of the morning jogging over a bridge connecting Sea Street and Marshfield Avenue. They took a break to take a photograph and then resumed running through the whipping wind and frigid cold.

    One of the runners described the group as “somewhat avid runners” who have ventured out during previous storms.

    “When a day like this comes along you want to take advantage of the opportunity to be the village idiot,” said one of the runners. He declined to give his name.

    Another runner said the group had run seven miles so far, and that the conditions were easier to manage than in some previous storms, when they had to contend with downed power lines and other dangers.

    “I don’t think it’s as bad,” said a woman runner. She also declined to give her name.

    Caisse, who was rescued from her Central Avenue home, thanked the people who came to her aid.

    “These fireman and rescuers don’t make enough money,” Caisse said. “The policemen and the firemen, we need to take care of them, because they really put their life in their hands to save us.”

    High tide passes in Scituate, Plymouth and Plum Island

    Andy Rosen of the Globe Staff contributed to this report. Laura Crimaldi can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @lauracrimaldi.