fb-pixel Skip to main content

FALL RIVER — Aaron Hernandez’s fiancee paced nervously around their home and cried the day after Odin L. Lloyd was killed, a house cleaner testified Tuesday in the murder trial of Hernandez, a former star tight end for the New England Patriots.

Carla Barbosa, who cleaned Hernandez’s North Attleborough home three times in 2013, said she saw his fiancee, Shayanna Jenkins, in a distressed state in the residence on the afternoon of June 18, 2013.

“I saw her speaking on the telephone,” Barbosa said through an interpreter. “I saw her looking out the window. . . . She’s crying, she’s nervous, and she’s walking back and forth.”


As Barbosa testified, jurors viewed video footage from that afternoon that showed Jenkins carrying a large black trash bag out of the back entrance of the house and placing it in the trunk of a car in the driveway. “I believe that she left with the car and came back,” Barbosa said. “She spent some time away.”

The bullet-riddled body of Lloyd, 27, of Dorchester, had been discovered the day before in an industrial park near Hernandez's home. Hernandez, 25, and two alleged accomplices have pleaded not guilty to charges that they killed Lloyd.

Prosecutors have alleged that Jenkins removed the bag at Hernandez’s request, and that it contained the murder weapon. Investigators have not recovered the .45-caliber gun used to kill Lloyd.

Jenkins, 25, faces a perjury indictment for allegedly lying to a grand jury about her actions and conversations with Hernandez after Lloyd’s death.

Barbosa’s testimony came after two other house cleaners testified Monday that they had seen firearms in Hernandez’s home — in the basement and master bedroom — during the weeks leading up to the killing.

On Tuesday, Barbosa told defense attorney Michael Fee on cross-examination that she never saw any guns in the residence. And, she said, she did not see what was in the bag that Jenkins carried to the car.


“So you don’t know what was in there,” Fee said. “It could have been trash.”

Also Tuesday, jurors heard from Brian McDonough, an athletic trainer with whom Hernandez had arranged to meet on June 17, 2013, to begin a workout regimen before the start of Patriots training camp. Lloyd was killed about eight hours before the scheduled session.

Hernandez did not show up for the session, McDonough said, but later apologized via text message and rescheduled for the following day.

“I’m already behind, so we gotta get after it!” Hernandez texted to McDonough on the night of June 17, according to a transcript of the messages shown on courtroom monitors. “See u tomorrow and honestly didn’t mean to leave u hang in.”

But the following day, Hernandez canceled again, hours before police searched his home for the first time.

“Ill jus call u when I’m back around which should be soon but ill b in touch!” Hernandez texted, later adding, “I truly am sorry for hassle but something serious came up.”

McDonough, who works regularly with professional athletes, testified that he never heard from Hernandez again. Hernandez was arrested several days later.

During cross-examination by Fee, McDonough said he believed Alex Guerrero, a trainer and business partner of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, had referred Hernandez to him. McDonough also said that Hernandez sent polite texts when he canceled their workout session. “He’s a gentleman,” McDonough said.


Also Tuesday, another witness, Jessica Robidoux, a civilian State Police analyst, testified that she was among the officials who searched Hernandez’s home five days after the murder. She said fabric on the underside of a mattress in a guest bedroom in the basement appeared to have dents or impressions on it.

A house cleaner, Marilia Prinholato, had testified Monday that she saw a gun fall from underneath the same mattress in early May 2013, and that she put the firearm back between the mattress and the box spring. Prinholato described the weapon as a black gun, about 30 to 40 centimeters, or roughly 12 to 15 inches, in length. She also testified that another house cleaner had found a smaller gun in the master bedroom.

Garsh told jurors Monday during the cleaners’ testimony about the presence of guns in Hernandez’s home that their presence was not evidence of his “propensity” to commit the murder, but jurors could consider whether their testimony demonstrated that Hernandez had “the means” to arm himself or others.

Ursula Ward, Lloyd’s mother, left in tears Tuesday when images of her son lying on a gurney, with his gunshot wounds visible, were displayed on the courtroom monitors.

Hernandez’s mother, Terri, also attended the proceedings and said, “I love you” to her son as he was led from the courtroom at the end of the day.

“I love you, too,” Hernandez replied.

Testimony is scheduled to resume Wednesday.

Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com.


A previous version of this story misstated the date when Hernandez texted an athletic trainer with whom he had arranged to meet.