fb-pixel Skip to main content

FALL RIVER — The jury in the murder trial of former New England Patriots star tight end Aaron Hernandez on Friday was shown text messages between Hernandez and an alleged accomplice, including one just hours before the killing in which Hernandez ordered the man to come to Massachusetts.

Hernandez, 25, has pleaded not guilty to murder in the June 2013, slaying of Lloyd, 27, of Dorchester, whose bullet-riddled body was found in an industrial park near the athlete’s $1.3 million home.

According to phone records shown Friday, Hernandez and Ernest Wallace, exchanged several text messages in the days leading up the slaying. Hernandez, Wallace, and a third defendant, Carlos Ortiz, allegedly picked up Lloyd at his Dorchester residence early on June 17, 2013 and drove him to the industrial park, where he was killed.


Wallace and Ortiz have also pleaded not guilty to murder will be tried separately. Hernandez allegedly orchestrated the slaying.

The texts Hernandez sent to Wallace showed him appearing, in several instances, to issue orders to Wallace.

Six days before the murder, Hernandez texted Wallace, “U grab everything out of car ... clip and cds and everything,” and Wallace responded, “Yes Sir,” the records showed.

The following afternoon, on June 12, Hernandez wrote to Wallace, “I need those [expletive] keys man jua bring dem back man I need them this [expletive] is crazy man.”

Just before 1:40 am on June 13, Hernandez texted Wallace again.

“Love u [expletive] I wanted to kill u but u kno I love u hit me tomorrow get some rest and tell the rest I love them,” Hernandez wrote.

The two exchanged more messages over the next couple of days before Hernandez texted Wallace again at around 9:35 p.m. on June 16, several hours before Lloyd’s death.

“Get ur ass up here,” Hernandez wrote, later adding “If I don’t answer call shay,” an apparent reference to Shayanna Jenkins, Hernandez’s fiancee.


Shortly before midnight, Hernandez texted Wallace again and told him to “make sure ur phone is on and charged.” According to records and witness testimony, Hernandez sent that message from a Providence bar where he and Jenkins had socialized with two other couples until just after 12:15 a.m.

Two hours later, according to prosecutors, Hernandez, Wallace, and Ortiz picked up Lloyd.

On Thursday, jurors viewed surveillance footage of Hernandez and Ortiz at a Canton gas station when they were en route to Lloyd’s residence. Ortiz had a white towel around his neck, and a similar towel was later found at the murder scene.

Ursula Ward, the mother of Odin L. Lloyd, watched the court proceedings.
Ursula Ward, the mother of Odin L. Lloyd, watched the court proceedings.Ted Fitzgerald/Pool

Travis Andersen can be reached at tandersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.