In South Boston, one-way streets will outlast the snow.
Mayor Martin J. Walsh announced Tuesday that one-way streets will remain in place for at least two more months while city officials hold community meetings to determine whether the traffic reconfiguration should be permanent.
In February, Walsh declared an emergency at the height of this winter's record-breaking snow, when the neighborhood's narrow streets had been choked into single lanes. The city made most South Boston streets one-way as a temporary measure scheduled to remain in place until April 1 — which is Wednesday.
Some residents have embraced the new traffic pattern. Even-numbered streets now run west and odd-numbered streets are eastbound. Main arteries have remained two-way streets. Streets historically one-way maintained their original direction.
In a statement, Walsh said the one-way initiative will be extended through June 1.
"We've received a tremendous amount of positive feedback from South Boston residents about how the emergency reconfiguration has relieved traffic congestion and increased public safety," Walsh said. "I look forward to engaging in a robust discussion with the community on the future of these neighborhood streets."
Over the next two months, the city will hold two community meetings, one at Condon Elementary School and the other one at Tynan Elementary School. Details about the meetings will be announced in the coming days.
The city encouraged South Boston residents to contact the mayor's office with feedback about the one-way streets. Residents can call the city's hotline at 617-635-4500 or contact the mayor's South Boston liaison, Eric Prentis, at 617-635-2680 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
City officials also reminded residents that street cleaning begins Wednesday. In South Boston, the street cleaning schedule will remain the same, although some signs now might be facing the wrong way.
Andrew Ryan can be reached at email@example.com.