scorecardresearch

Tsarnaev jurors can’t watch Marathon, bombing anniversary coverage

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 21, was convicted last week on all 30 counts he faced.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 21, was convicted last week on all 30 counts he faced.(AP/File)

The judge in the trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev told jurors Tuesday that the sentencing phase of the Boston Marathon bombing trial could last about four weeks.

Tsarnaev, 21, was convicted last week on all 30 counts he faced in the 2013 attacks on Boston’s storied race. Seventeen of the counts carried the possibility of the death penalty. Jurors return to court next Tuesday for a second phase of the trial in which they will decide whether he should be sentenced to death or life without parole.

US District Court Judge George A. O’Toole Jr. told jurors not to attend Monday’s Marathon or any of the related events. He also told them not to watch media coverage of the race or of the anniversary on Wednesday of the 2013 bombing.

Advertisement



Tsarnaev looked relaxed and talkative with two of his attorneys, Judy Clarke and Miriam Conrad. He leaned back in his chair, chatting with them and smiling.

Three people died in the two explosions on April 15, 2013, near the Marathon finish line, and more than 260 others were wounded. Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan, also murdered MIT Police Officer Sean Collier several days later.


Patricia Wen can be reached at wen@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter at @GlobePatty.


Milton J. Valencia can be reached at mvalencia@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @miltonvalencia.