fb-pixel Skip to main content

At trial, prosecutor describes final hours of Amy Lord’s life

Edwin Alemany is charged with killing Amy Lord during a day of random violence.David L Ryan/Globe Staff/File

Edwin J. Alemany’s spree began after 4 a.m. on July 23, 2013, prosecutors say, when he attacked a young mother walking to work on Old Colony Avenue and answered her pleas for mercy with a promise to kill her.

She escaped, but Alemany was not finished. He prowled the streets of Boston for a 20-hour period that Suffolk Assistant District Attorney John Pappas on Wednesday called “a real-life horror story,” picking victims seemingly at random and blitz attacking them. Two women escaped. Amy Lord was not so lucky.

“Amy Elizabeth Lord, who will forever be 24 years old,” Pappas said during his opening statement in Alemany’s murder trial in Suffolk Superior Court. “Assaulted. Beaten. Abducted. Robbed. Strangled. Repeatedly stabbed and murdered. Her unclad body left in the middle of Bold Knob Path in the Stony Brook Reservation.”


Alemany appeared impassive during Pappas’s opening statement, and Alemany’s attorney, Jeffrey Denner, deferred his opening statement until after the prosecution rests. Denner has not said that Alemany committed the crimes, but has signaled that mental health will be a factor for the jury to consider.

“The issue here is not so much what happened, but why it happened,” Denner said after court. Much of the day Wednesday was consumed with jury selection, during which jurors were asked their feelings on the insanity defense, among other things.

In his statement, Pappas told jurors that Alemany acted deliberately and purposefully as he savagely attacked three women, interspersing his acts of violence with stops to buy gasoline, lottery tickets, a cellphone, Corona beer, and dinner at the Tahiti Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge in Dedham.

The first woman he allegedly attacked, a 22-year-old on her way to work at Dunkin’ Donuts, was able to free herself after he had punched her and dragged her into a parking lot, where he tried to strangled her, Pappas said. The woman told him she had a child and asked him to let her go, and he allegedly replied, “[Expletive], you’re going to die today.”


After she escaped, the woman realized that her attacker grew up close to her family, said Pappas.

About an hour later, Lord was leaving her apartment on Dorchester Street to meet a friend for an early gym class, Pappas said. Alemany saw Lord as she walked out her door, the prosecutor said, and “stormed” her, beating her and forcing her into her Jeep Cherokee to drive to five different banks and withdraw a total of $960.

Surveillance videos, Pappas said, show Alemany in distinctive clothing, driving Lord in her Jeep closer and closer to Stony Brook, the last of them time-stamped at 7:05 a.m.

“What happened shortly after 7:05 a.m. — words alone, ladies and gentlemen, can’t describe the injuries that this man inflicted on Amy Elizabeth Lord,” Pappas said. “The magnitude of the trauma was severe.”

Alemany allegedly drove Lord’s Jeep to a gas station, where, Pappas said, he had a chance encounter with an acquaintance who told investigators that Alemany was “the same old Edwin.”

Lord’s car was found at 8:37 a.m., aflame on Sterling Square Way in South Boston.

Pappas said Alemany spent the hours after killing Lord spending the money he allegedly stole from her. He allegedly bought “lots and lots” of lottery tickets and a cellphone, and paid off his girlfriend’s and brother’s cellphone accounts. Having burned Lord’s car, he allegedly called a livery service and took a Lincoln Town Car to a liquor store to buy Corona beer, then ate a pu-pu platter and drank “Suffering Bastard” cocktails at the Tahiti restaurant with his brother and friend.


His alleged spree ended just after midnight on July 24, when he attacked and repeatedly stabbed a 21-year-old walking home from work on Gates Street. The young woman was able to escape into her apartment, Pappas said.

Alemany cut his hand in the attack, Pappas said, and both he and his final victim were taken to Tufts Medical Center, where the victim’s roommate recognized him.

“In the end,” Pappas told jurors, “you’re going to know he acted with purpose and clarity of mind. And in the end, you’re going to know he is responsible.”

Evan Allen can be reached at evan.allen@globe.com.

Correction: Because of a reporting error, an earlier version of this story misspelled the name of a path in Stony Brook Reservation.