Heavy rain expected during evening commute

After storms that disrupted the Friday morning commute, cloudy skies and bouts of heavy rain are expected through the evening and will probably wash out hopes for a sunny day at the beach this weekend.

Floodwaters inundated tracks at the Natick commuter rail station Friday morning. Five trains on the MBTA’s Framingham/Worcester commuter rail line were delayed or canceled, according to the MBTA’s website.

Mac Daniel, a spokesman for commuter rail operator Keolis Commuter Services, said the water at one point reached six inches above the tracks at Natick. He described the issue as an “historical problem.”

Service is back to normal at this time, but Keolis will be monitoring conditions as more rainfall is expected this afternoon, Daniel said.


A small system over the Natick area Friday morning dropped 1.88 inches of rain in about an hour, said Bill Simpson, a National Weather Service meteorologist.

And the morning rain was a taste of what’s to come, he predicted. In the afternoon, two systems are expected to merge over the Eastern part of the state, he said.

“We’re still on line for some heavy rain this afternoon through Boston” Simpson said.

Streets and roads are likely to flood as rain water builds up in urban areas with poor drainage, though river flooding appeared unlikely.

Simpson advised drivers to take it easy on their way home.

“The heaviest rain will shift to the east this afternoon so that could be problematic for the evening commute,” Simpson said. “The atmosphere is so juicy, it could rain really heavily for a short time.”

Temperatures are predicted to be in the upper 70s Friday through Tuesday. Dew points will stay in the high 60s to low 70s and maintain a thick, sticky feeling in the air, forecasters said.

Saturday and Sunday will be mostly cloudy, and showers will continue pouring over the region.


“We’re kind of locked into this pattern for now,” Simpson said.

In Natick Friday, commuter George M. Chapman said he was on his way to work into Boston when he saw a train pull into the station with “a huge wave in front of it” that caused water to slosh up the stairs.

The train went backward to West Natick, and passengers switched trains to go through on another track. He said it took about 40 minutes to get back to where he started. Though the cars were crowded, Chapman said passengers mostly took the delay in stride.

“People were mostly humorous about it, and the conductors were really nice. All things considered, people were far less aggravated than this winter, but we did get in almost an hour late,” he said in an e-mail.

Andy Rosen can be reached at andrew.rosen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter at @andyrosen.