Metro

Woman sues Red Sox owner after 2014 foul ball injury

A Brookline woman who was injured when she was struck by a foul ball last year during a Red Sox game at Fenway Park is suing John Henry, the team’s principal owner, court records show.

Lawyers for Stephanie Taubin, 46, filed the lawsuit claiming negligence against Henry, who also owns The Boston Globe, on Wednesday in Suffolk Superior Court, records show.

The dollar amount being sought was not clear Thursday night.

Advertisement

Asked for comment on Henry’s behalf, the Red Sox said in a statement that the team “is unaware of the specifics [of the lawsuit] and generally does not comment on pending legal matters. But the safety of Red Sox fans and providing a quality ballpark experience are essential to the Red Sox, and to Mr. Henry, and are goals for which we strive as an organization to deliver,” the statement said.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

According to Taubin’s complaint, she was in an area above home plate known as the EMC Club on June 17, 2014. Protective glass had been removed for renovations, leaving the area, previously known as the 406 Club, “at greater risk of foul balls entering that [section] of Fenway Park,” the filing said.

Taubin was struck by a foul ball and suffered injuries including facial fractures and neurological damage, her complaint said.

She has also incurred medical expenses, lost wages, and diminished earning capacity, according to the lawsuit.

Taubin’s attorneys could not be reached for comment on Thursday night.

Advertisement

Her filing comes after two harrowing incidents this season at Fenway, when one fan was struck by a broken bat and another was hit by a line drive.

During the first incident on June 5, part of a shattered bat hit Tonya Carpenter, 44, of Paxton, in the face as she sat on the third base side near the visitors’ dugout.

She was carried out on a stretcher as stunned players and fans looked on.

Carpenter spent a week at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center before being transferred to a rehabilitation facility.

A Beth Israel doctor said at the time that her recovery “has been excellent” and that she was “getting stronger every day.”

Advertisement

In the second case on July 10, Stephanie Wapenski, 36, was struck in the head by a sharply hit foul ball during a night game against the New York Yankees.

Wapenski, 36, who got engaged at Fenway last year, was taken to Beth Israel, where she received more than 30 stitches and underwent a CAT scan before being released early the next morning.

Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.