No one was injured in a two-alarm fire at a cold storage building at 100 Widett Circle in South Boston Monday morning, according to the Boston Fire Department.
Officials responded to the fire at the Americold storage building, where food is stored, at 8:31 a.m.
The fire began in the building's ventilation system in the basement, according to Steve MacDonald, a department spokesman.
The fire worked its way through the air ducts to a loading dock on the first floor, where it ignited a wooden pallet and a barrel of trash. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the pallet and trash barrel with water.
Fire officials were worried there might be a chemical leak when the basement flames re-ignited after being put out. According to MacDonald, many different chemicals are kept on the site, including ammonia.
All the building's utilities and were shut down, and firefighters put out the remainder of the flames with extinguishers. Investigators later determined that there were no chemical leaks in the building.
The large, windowless building is about the size of a football field. The Fire Department has not yet determined what started the fire.