A former Millis police officer who allegedly lied about a motorist shooting at him in September was found dead in his home Thursday, according to a statement from the Norfolk district attorney's office.
State Police detectives arrived about 3:30 a.m. at the Millis home of Bryan Johnson, 24, and discovered his body. Another resident of the home initially found Johnson.
There were no signs of foul play, and the death is not being investigated as a homicide, the statement said.
Johnson was indicted by a grand jury last week on multiple charges for allegedly making a bomb threat against Millis High School the same day he allegedly fabricated the story about the shooting.
On Sept. 2, Johnson is alleged to have falsely claimed that a driver in a pickup truck shot at his police cruiser twice, causing the cruiser to crash into the woods and catch fire. He also claimed the pickup truck sped away.
Investigators said the young officer later confessed he had shot the cruiser himself three times, gotten into the vehicle, and blacked out before crashing into the trees.
Johnson's alleged actions shut down the town of Millis, closing schools for a day and triggering a massive search for the alleged shooter by heavily armed police.
The alleged episodes happened less than three weeks after Millis selectmen voted unanimously to make Johnson a permanent member of the Millis Police Department. Johnson had previously undergone 350 hours of training to work as a part-time officer and dispatcher for the department. He was supposed to enter the police academy in late September.
Johnson graduated from Millis High School in 2009, where he was cocaptain of the basketball team.