scorecardresearch Skip to main content

Candle blamed for fire in Jamaica Plain building

The blaze broke out on the first floor of Pondview Apartments, forcing three people out of their apartment.Jessica Rinaldi/Globe Staff/Globe Staff

A three-alarm fire in a Jamaica Plain apartment complex Saturday night was sparked by an unattended candle, according to Boston fire officials.

The fire broke out around 10 p.m. on the first floor of the Pondview Apartments at 560 Centre St., and initially displaced all 15 to 30 residents of the apartment building.

Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said on Sunday that the fire caused $50,000 in damages. No injuries were reported, he said, though one person was transported to the hospital as a precaution.

Most of the apartment building’s occupants have returned home, MacDonald said, except three residents who were in the apartment where the fire originated.


At the scene Saturday, the deputy fire chief, Andre Stallworth, said the fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes.

Displaced residents were initially brought to a nearby community center for shelter.

The apartment, which was charred and had its windows shattered on Saturday night, was boarded up Sunday.

Astead W. Herndon can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @AsteadWH.