fb-pixelAlleged drunk driver in Weymouth crash ordered held without bail - The Boston Globe Skip to main content

Alleged drunk driver in Weymouth crash ordered held without bail

<?EM-dummyText [Drophead goes here] ?>

Thomas Mohan of Weymouth was arraigned in his hospital bed Wednesday. From left were assistant DA Mike Pirrello, Weymouth police Lt. Paul Casey, Quincy District Court Judge Kevin O'Day and court clerk Chris Ghiloni. Just out of camera is Mohan's lawyer Tina Furey.Greg Derr/POOL

WEYMOUTH — The man charged with drunk driving after he allegedly struck and seriously injured a pedestrian Tuesday had a blood alcohol level of .36, more than four times the legal limit, prosecutors said Wednesday.

During a sobriety test administered after the afternoon crash, Thomas Mohan, 51, became so unsteady he "fell face-first onto asphalt," Norfolk Assistant District Attorney Michael Pirrello said at Mohan's arraignment, held in his hospital room.

Mohan, who lives in Weymouth, was unruly toward police and said he "had no recollection of the crash or why he was under arrest," Pirrello said. When medics tried to help him, he tried to "get his blood on everyone," he added, according to a report from a media pool.


Mohan pleaded not guilty to drunk and negligent driving, and was ordered held on $15,000 cash bail.

The pedestrian, a 39-year-old man who was not identified, suffered a collapsed diaphragm and aorta, and remains in critical condition. He underwent surgery on Tuesday at South Shore Hospital in Weymouth.

Mohan, who has a lengthy record of motor vehicle offenses, was driving a Gold Chrysler Pacifica down Washington Street when he veered off the road and into a black pickup truck, spinning it 180 degrees, Pirrello said.

Mohan continued a short distance before hitting the pedestrian, he said.

The driver of the pickup truck was also taken to the hospital. Police pieced together the crash through security videos from nearby businesses.

Mohan refused medical treatment after the crash, but was taken to the hospital. He is being treated for pneumonia, his lawyer said.

Mohan sat silently in his bed during the brief arraignment. Judge Kevin O'Dea revoked Mohan's bail for allegedly violating a restraining order taken out against him last month.

His court-appointed lawyer, Tina Furey, said Mohan did not drive by his former home, as alleged, and she expected the restraining order to be dismissed. Mohan has a receipt to prove he was grocery shopping at the time of the alleged violation, she said.


Mohan had not had any legal problems in the past 13 years, she said. She offered no explanation for Mohan's alleged actions.

Furey asked that Mohan be released on $7,500 bail, an amount she said he would be able to pay. Mohan had worked as an auto mechanic for several years at car dealers and local gas stations, but had not been able to work since injuring his thumb in 2014, she said.

"That is a reasonable sum of money to take from Mr. Mohan," she said. A larger sum would effectively "hold him without bail," she added.

Mohan, a graduate of Weymouth High School, has lived in either Weymouth or Rockland for the past several years and does not pose a flight risk, she said. He is next due in court March 22.

Kathy McCabe can be reached at Katherine.McCabe
. Follow her on Twitter @GlobeKMcCabe.