Metro

Nearly 500 cited for public drinking at St. Patrick’s Day parade

The Boston Police marching band performed at the St. Patrick’s Day parade Sunday in South Boston.

Keith Bedford/Globe staff

The Boston Police marching band performed at the St. Patrick’s Day parade Sunday in South Boston.

Public drinking citations at South Boston’s annual St. Patrick’s Day parade were up dramatically this year, with hundreds more people ticketed for imbibing amid the revelry, according to Boston police. Meanwhile, arrests at the event dropped by more than half.

Police tallied 498 total civil violations for drinking in public at Sunday’s parade, along with four arrests. Last year, authorities reported 278 citations — most of them for public drinking — and 10 arrests.

Advertisement

The shifts coincided with a change in the parade route from 2015 to 2016. Last year, the parade route was shortened as the city continued to clean up from its historic winter.

“Keeping spectators and participants safe along the route was Mayor Walsh’s and my top priority,” said Boston Police Commissioner William Evans in a statement Monday. “Issuing nearly double the amount of public drinking citations compared to last year evidences the challenges we faced in keeping public order at this family event. I want to thank all of those who braved the cold and came out and celebrated responsibly.”

Public officials sought to preserve the shortened route for Sunday’s parade, citing safety concerns, but a federal judge last week ordered the city to allow the celebration to proceed along the longer path that it had followed for years.

Monday’s tally represented an increase from a day earlier, when police gave a preliminary total of 294 citations.

This year, there were also five violations issued to licensed establishments, police said.

Advertisement

The four people arrested faced charges including disorderly conduct, fighting, and assault and battery on a police officer.

A fifth person was arrested by officers assigned to the parade for allegedly throwing a propane tank through the window of a Dorchester Street home, but Suffolk prosecutors said that incident stemmed from an earlier drug deal — not the parade.

Meanwhile, it didn’t take the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s Transit Police long to find one unruly passenger on St. Patrick’s Day weekend.

Police said Sunday on Twitter that a man wearing a “Where’s Waldo”-style costume was plucked from the crowds waiting for a train following the parade and taken into custody.

According to officials, the unidentified individual was removed from South Station for “being very disorderly.” They said his behavior, which police did not describe on social media, led to him needing “to be escorted out.”

In a picture shared by police, two officers can be seen each holding onto one of the person’s arms.

Steve Annear of the Globe staff contributed to this report. Andy Rosen can be reached at andrew.rosen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @andyrosen.
Loading comments...
You're reading  1 of 5 free articles.
Get UNLIMITED access for only 99¢ per week Subscribe Now >
You're reading1 of 5 free articles.Keep scrolling to see more articles recomended for you Subscribe now
We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.