Federal regulators opened an investigation Friday after a utility worker was burned while working in the Myles Standish State Forest in Plymouth, officials said.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration will determine whether any work safety violations took place.
The 51-year-old man, who was not identified, was working in a bucket truck just after 9 a.m. when he touched some live wires, according to Captain John Rogers of the Plymouth Police Department.
He was airlifted to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston to treat burns on his hands, Rogers said. Some of the man’s clothes were also charred, he said. His condition was not immediately known.
The man is an employee of R.W. Bryant Contracting Inc., which was subcontracting for Comcast, said Ted Fitzgerald, a spokesman for the US Department of Labor. The company works on wiring and a variety of other services.
A spokesman for Comcast referred questions to police and declined to comment further.
Police initially said the man was working for Eversource, but the energy company said he was not an employee or contractor.
Environmental Police, State Police, and the Plymouth Fire Department were on the scene.
Mina Corpuz can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @mlcorpuz.