scorecardresearch Skip to main content

Manager of Cambridge art gallery fired amid sex assault allegation

A popular Cambridge art gallery and performance space has fired its manager amid allegations that he sexually assaulted a musician there after a show Monday night.

Out of the Blue Too Art Gallery & More, in Central Square, confirmed the termination Wednesday in a posting. The Globe is not naming the manager because he has not been charged with a crime.

“He has been fired because this type of behavior is totally unacceptable,” said a posting from the gallery’s founder, Tom Tipton.

The allegations surfaced on the website of the accuser, a musician who performed at the gallery Monday. The Globe does not name alleged victims of sexual assault. She wrote on her site that she was “sexually attacked by the manager” after her performance ended.


“He pressed me up against the wall and started . . . kissing me, while saying disgusting things in my ear,” she wrote. “I literally shoved him off of me with all my might and ran to the bathroom where I had a severe panic attack.”

The woman said the manager followed her outside but stopped after she told him to get away.

Cambridge police said Wednesday that the musician has not filed a formal complaint with the department.

“We are looking to connect with the alleged victim and have made efforts to contact her,” police spokesman Jeremy Warnick said in an e-mail. “We are aware of the blog post and social media fodder, but in order to move forward, we do need to hear from the victim.”

The musician said in a follow-up posting Wednesday night that she does not wish to contact the police, who she said “uphold a certain social structure that I disagree with on a basic core level.”

Working telephone numbers for the manager and the accuser could not be located, and neither responded to e-mail inquiries seeking comment.


The accuser wrote on her website that she received “countless interview requests” but has “no interest in engaging with an establishment that’s built on sensationalizing trauma.”

Tipton said in an interview the manager had worked at the gallery for about two years.

In his Facebook posting, Tipton said that he had read notes from online commenters about the incident. Some commenters alleged the manager had acted inappropriately in prior encounters at the gallery.

“It seems like there might have been some other incidents,” Tipton said by phone.

In his Facebook posting, Tipton thanked the musician for publishing her account “so that we can take responsibility and address what has happened.”

Travis Andersen can be reached at