The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston on Monday announced a set of appointments and changes affecting church leadership, parishes, and institutions around the region.
The moves follow the announcement last month that Pope Francis had named two new auxiliary bishops. Bishops-elect Robert Reed and Mark O’Connell are set to be ordained Aug. 24 at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross.
Cardinal Seán P. O’Malley announced the appointments Monday, citing “the ongoing work of responding to the pastoral and ministerial needs of our Catholic family.”
“We are pleased that these gifted priests and religious have accepted the call to these new assignments,” O’Malley said in a statement. “We are blessed by their commitment to bring the spiritual and corporal works of mercy to the people we serve, through the vision established in Disciples in Mission.”
Reed will become regional bishop for the archdiocese’s West Region after he is ordained. He will also become the pastor of Good Shepherd Parish in Wayland starting Sept. 21, O’Malley announced.
Reed, who was ordained to the priesthood in 1985, will continue his role as secretary for Catholic Media, overseeing CatholicTV, Pilot Bulletins, The Pilot, and radio apostolate.
The Very Reverend Brian R. Kiely, who was previously the episcopal vicar leading the West Region, will become rector of Pope Saint John XXIII National Seminary in Weston.
O’Connell will be the regional bishop for the North Region, and will be pastor of Saint Theresa Parish in North Reading starting Sept. 1. O’Connell, who became a priest in 1990, will continue in his role as an archdiocesean judicial vicar.
The Very Reverend Gerard Petringa, who previously led the north region, will get a new assignment later, the archdiocese said.
O’Malley announced several other changes:
• The Very Reverend William B. Palardy, who is now the rector of Pope Saint John XXIII National Seminary, will become pastor of Saint Agatha Parish in Milton.
• The Very Reverend James A. Flavin, who is the episcopal vicar for the Central Region, will also become administrator of Holy Name Parish in West Roxbury starting Sept. 21.
• The Very Reverend Bryan K. Parrish has been appointed episcopal vicar for clergy starting September 1.
• The Reverend Robert M. Blaney has been appointed secretary for ministerial personnel starting Sept. 1.
• Brother James Peterson has been appointed vice chancellor for the archdiocese effective Sept. 1. He will retain his role as assistant to the moderator of the Curia for Canonical Affairs.
• Reverend W. Christopher Palladino has been appointed adjutant judicial vicar with the Metropolitan Tribunal effective Sept. 1. Father Palladino is currently a canon lawyer with the Tribunal.