Hingham police are warning teenagers and parents about the dangers of marijuana-laced candy after a teenager last week called 911 to report that his friend was having an allergic reaction to food.
Under questioning from a dispatcher, the 18-year-old boy said that the girl, who is 17, was “reacting to marijuana-laced candy,” according to a statement issued Wednesday by the police.
Officers arrived to find both the caller and the girl “visibly under the influence,” police said. They provided police with an empty foil pouch labeled “Conscious Creations,” which listed no ingredients but appeared to be from a medical marijuana supplier, the statement said.
The teens, who were not identified, were taken by ambulance to a hospital, according to police.
Police have used the July 21 incident to urge parents to talk with their children, particularly teenagers, about the dangers of consuming candy laced with drugs.
Under state law, police cannot charge a person who “calls in good faith for medical help, or received medical assistance due to a possible overdose,” the statement said.
“It is important that the teens called for medical help without hesitation,” the police said.Olivia Quintana can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @oliviasquintana.