Metro

Small fire, but no damage, at downtown office building

Firefighters believe a spontaneous combustion caused a small fire at a downtown Boston office building Thursday night, the fire department said.

The fire started in a work room on the first floor of 50 Milk St. at about 8:55 p.m., said Steve MacDonald, a Boston fire spokesman.

“It generated a lot of smoke,” he said, but the building was otherwise not damaged, and the Friday workday should not be affected.

Advertisement

The department believes some rags in the work room had spontaneously combusted. MacDonald said the rags had some solvents on them and were in a room that was poorly ventilated.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The room did have a sprinkler system, however, which activated when the fire began, MacDonald said.

Fire companies left the scene by about 10:15 p.m.

There were very few people in the building at the time of the fire, MacDonald said.

Felicia Gans can be reached at felicia.gans@globe.com Follow her on Twitter @FeliciaGans