Metro

Shooting of 9-year-old girl in Boston spurs call for end to violence

10-11-2016 Roxbury, Mass Family and friends of 9yr.year old who was shot over the weekend in Roxbury, speaking out in front of the Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building. L. to R. are Youth worker Monica Cannon and LeeAnn Taylor who lost her son Daniel Taylor murdered in 2014. Globe photo by Bill Brett
Bill Brett for The Boston Globe
Youth worker Monica Cannon, left, and Leeann Taylor, whose son was murdered in 2014, joined community groups and city officials to call for an end to violence in the streets.

Enough is enough.

That was the message a group of community leaders issued to the public after a shooting in Roxbury early Sunday left a 9-year-old girl hospitalized.

“Be tired enough to do something,” said Monica Cannon, a city youth worker who organized a news conference Tuesday night. “A lot of us are silent about something we shouldn’t be silent about.”

Advertisement

Cannon, a mother of five teenagers who has worked with at-risk youth for 13 years, said she is also troubled by several other shootings in recent weeks.

Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The child was outside playing during a birthday party in the Alice Taylor Public Housing Development at 1 a.m., authorities said. She was struck as adults attempted to pull her inside, police said.

“That’s somebody’s baby,” Cannon said, standing at the corner of the Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building on Washington Street. “She was at a playground, at a family gathering. The only reason she was outside was because she was with her family where she felt like she was safe and someone decided to open fire.”

Cannon was joined by City Councilor Ayanna Pressley, members of the Nation of Islam, other community groups, and Leeann Taylor, whose son, Daniel Taylor, 23, was killed on Feb. 23, 2014.

“It’s sad,” said Taylor, 52, of Randolph. “Young kids need to stop it. These young kids — they don’t just hurt the person, they hurt the whole family.”

Advertisement

The shooting of the 9-year-old girl came after the fatal shooting of 20-year-old Carlos Lind on Columbus Avenue at 10:30 p.m. Saturday. Earlier that week, on Oct. 10, 20-year-old Jesse Dieusinor, of Florida, was fatally shot at Zeigler and Dearborn streets in Roxbury at 5:30 p.m.

No arrests have been made.

On Sunday, a spokesman said Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans assured the 9-year-old’s family that the “department will do everything in our power to get those responsible for this senseless and cowardly act.”

On Tuesday, a Boston Public Schools spokesman, Daniel O’Brien, said in a statement that counselors and staff were “available to support the girl and any other students or community members seeking assistance.”

“Our thoughts are with the young girl and her family, and we wish her a speedy recovery,” he said.

Jan Ransom can be reached at jan.ransom@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter at @Jan_Ransom.