fb-pixel Skip to main content

Second wounded Boston officer leaves hospital

Officer Richard Cintolo and Officer Matthew Morris.

The second of two officers shot in East Boston nearly two weeks ago has been released from Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston Police said Saturday, and transferred to a Spaulding Rehabilitation facility.

Officer Matthew Morris, a 12-year veteran, will undergo “continued treatment and care” at Spaulding, the department announced on its Twitter page.

“Great to see Matt getting better,” Commissioner William B. Evans said in a second Twitter post.

“Thanks to everybody for all the support. Please keep the prayers coming.”

A police spokesman did not immediately respond to requests for further comment Saturday.


Morris and Officer Richard Cintolo were both critically injured after being shot multiple times on Oct. 12 by a man police identified as 33-year-old Kirk Figueroa, who opened fire with an assault rifle and handgun as the officers responded to a dispute between roommates on Gladstone Street.

Cintolo, a 27-year veteran, was discharged from MGH on Wednesday, police said. Cintolo was “happy to be home and grateful for the outpouring of prayers and support,” police wrote on Twitter.

Morris, who is married, in 2006 received a Medal of Honor, the highest award the state can bestow on a police officer, for his actions in an incident when an armed and masked 15-year-old boy fired into a crowded bus stop on Blue Hill Avenue.

Morris could not be reached for comment Saturday.

Morris and Cintolo were the sixth and seventh Boston officers shot in the last three years.

Residents responded to the shootings with an outpouring of support and appreciation for the wounded officers. Hundreds attended a prayer vigil, and a peace walk was held in the days following.

More than 200 fellow officers, family members, and friends took part in a blood drive to support Morris and Cintolo that was organized by the Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association and the American Red Cross.


Separately, the Boston Police Relief Association has used a GoFundMe page to collect more than $4,000 to assist Morris and Cintolo, with a goal of $50,000.

“Both Officers suffered terrible injuries that will take a substantial amount of rehabilitation to recover from,” Detective Jimmy Coyne, the relief association’s president, wrote on that page.

“While some wounds are visible others are not and the BPRA will be there to help all those involved.”

Figueroa, who was wearing a ballistic vest, was killed after he wounded Morris and Cintolo, when other officers returned fire at the home in East Boston’s Orient Heights area, Evans said previously.

Nine officers who dragged Morris and Cintolo out of the line of fire and provided them with first aid were treated for stress after the shootout, Evans said.

Officers had arrived at the Gladstone Street duplex shortly before 11 p.m. on Oct. 12 in response to a report of an armed man and a fight between roommates, Evans said. The altercation began as a dispute between Figueroa and a roommate over the thermostat setting, officials said.

Figueroa was licensed in April as a Massachusetts constable, which allowed him to serve legal papers related to civil cases, but was not permitted to carry a gun in the state, authorities said.

Jeremy C. Fox can be reached at jeremy.fox@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @jeremycfox.