(Warning: Images in the Facebook post below contain offensive language)
A Natick man said he has received threatening letters demanding that he not bring black people to visit his neighborhood, citing the election of Donald Trump as evidence that “we have reclaimed our country,” according to police, who are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime.
The messages told the recipient that they were his first and second warnings. Natick police Lieutenant Cara Rossi confirmed that the man had reported receiving the letters. The man who said he received the letters posted them to a Facebook page registered under the name Andrew Provost. He could not be reached for comment.
The letters, one received on Nov. 10 and another on Nov. 11, referenced Trump’s election to support the writer’s demand that the man stop bringing nonwhites around. Both letters were found on the recipient’s doorstep, police said.
“We have reclaimed our country by selecting Trump and you are now messing up every thing,” one letter read. “Natick has a zero tolerance for black people,” it said.
The letters contained a number of racial slurs and insults. One was signed “Concerned Neighbors.”
“Being a white man and never having personally experienced this kind of racial bigotry I am truly humbled and angered and ashamed by what is still present in our world today,” the post said.
There has been a rash of similar incidents nationwide in the days following Trump’s election. In an interview with “60 Minutes,” the president-elect said he had been unaware of such activity, and urged the perpetrators to stop.
After seeing the Facebook post, Natick Superintendent Peter Sanchioni and school leaders wrote to the school community, condemning the offensive statements and assuring students that such attitudes would not be tolerated.
“I’m shocked, totally shocked. I’ve never seen anything like this in the Natick community. It’s a place we’ve been proud of, to say that we’ve always been ahead of the curve,” Sanchioni said in an interview.
The superintendent said schools will continue to provide support for students who are affected by the election and by any other incidents.
“We stand at the ready to ensure that no person will be mistreated, discriminated against, or excluded based on gender, race, class, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, learning style, abilities, or political party,” the school leaders wrote in their message.
Rachael Rollins, the new Suffolk district attorney, is blasting ICE for arresting an undocumented immigrant in a Boston courthouse, saying such practices scare off victims and witnesses.Continue reading »
Home care worker Stephanie Crosman has faced allegations from clients that she robbed them, but she keeps getting work that gives her access to the homes and valuables of elderly people.Continue reading »
Liz Smith knows this: A little girl opened a little door into her heart.Continue reading »
Olivia Ambrose was last seen Saturday night around 10 p.m. near Hennessy’s Bar at 25 Union St., according to police and her family.Continue reading »
The MBTA is urging customers to allow for 10 to 15 minutes of additional travel time to their Tuesday morning commutes due to extreme cold, winds, and icy conditions.Continue reading »
Texts between Aaron Hernandez and his teammates and coaches show just how much he was spinning out of control.Continue reading »
Warren, who also is running for the White House, called the California Democrat’s entrance into the race “terrific” for the party.Continue reading »
Governor Gina Raimondo declared a state of emergency in Newport County late Monday night and encouraged residents lacking heat to seek shelter.Continue reading »
Mayors — Republican and Democrat — are worried about the issue, according to a survey by BU’s Menino Survey of Mayors.Continue reading »