Metro
    Next Score View the next score

    Racist letters with references to Trump’s victory allegedly sent in Natick

    (Warning: Images in the Facebook post below contain offensive language)

    A Natick man said he has received threatening letters demanding that he not bring black people to visit his neighborhood, citing the election of Donald Trump as evidence that “we have reclaimed our country,” according to police, who are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime.

    The messages told the recipient that they were his first and second warnings. Natick police Lieutenant Cara Rossi confirmed that the man had reported receiving the letters. The man who said he received the letters posted them to a Facebook page registered under the name Andrew Provost. He could not be reached for comment.

    The letters, one received on Nov. 10 and another on Nov. 11, referenced Trump’s election to support the writer’s demand that the man stop bringing nonwhites around. Both letters were found on the recipient’s doorstep, police said.

    Advertisement

    “We have reclaimed our country by selecting Trump and you are now messing up every thing,” one letter read. “Natick has a zero tolerance for black people,” it said.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    The letters contained a number of racial slurs and insults. One was signed “Concerned Neighbors.”

    “Being a white man and never having personally experienced this kind of racial bigotry I am truly humbled and angered and ashamed by what is still present in our world today,” the post said.

    There has been a rash of similar incidents nationwide in the days following Trump’s election. In an interview with “60 Minutes,” the president-elect said he had been unaware of such activity, and urged the perpetrators to stop.

    After seeing the Facebook post, Natick Superintendent Peter Sanchioni and school leaders wrote to the school community, condemning the offensive statements and assuring students that such attitudes would not be tolerated.

    Advertisement

    “I’m shocked, totally shocked. I’ve never seen anything like this in the Natick community. It’s a place we’ve been proud of, to say that we’ve always been ahead of the curve,” Sanchioni said in an interview.

    The superintendent said schools will continue to provide support for students who are affected by the election and by any other incidents.

    “We stand at the ready to ensure that no person will be mistreated, discriminated against, or excluded based on gender, race, class, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, learning style, abilities, or political party,” the school leaders wrote in their message.

    Reena Karasin can be reached at reena.karasin@globe.com.