Several public school systems in Massachusetts and New England are canceling or delaying classes Friday due to the bitter cold temperatures expected overnight and into the morning.
Boston was expected to see temperatures dropping to 4 degrees by about 7 a.m Friday. With the windchill factor, it was expected to feel as low as minus-20 early Friday.
Temperatures and windchills were expected to drop even lower in the interior sections of the state, with windchills in some areas dropping as low as minus-24.
“Right here in New England will be the coldest part of the country as of tomorrow morning,” said National Weather Service meteorologist Frank Nocera on Thursday night.
Here’s a list of Massachusetts public schools that have either canceled or are delaying classes on Friday:
• Lawrence public schools
• Lowell public schools
• Medford public schools
• Worcester public schools
• Acton-Boxborough public schools (one hour late)
• Dracut public schools (two hours)
• Framingham public schools (two hours)
• Gardner public schools (two hours)
• Hampstead, N.H., public schools (two hours)
• Henniker, N.H., public schools (two hours)
• Merrimack, N.H., public schools (two hours)
• Nashua, N.H., public schools (two hours)
More schools closings or delays here.