A leak at the Spectra Energy gas metering station on the Fore River in Weymouth emitted a strong odor of gas from about a mile away on Friday night, a Weymouth fire official said.
The department started to receive calls about the smell of gas around 7:30 p.m., Deputy Chief Steve Murray said.
When firefighters responded to the scene, they discovered the issue was caused by a malfunctioning release valve, Murray said.
The valve was shut down, and the leak stopped, Murray said.
A Spectra Energy representative responded to the scene at about 8 p.m.
Creighton Welch, a spokesman for Spectra, said that the leak was caused by “a one inch valve freezing.”
“We continue to monitor the system 24/7,” Welch said by telephone.Jacob Geanous can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @jacob_geanous.