PEABODY — Authorities on Tuesday disclosed the causes of death for a Peabody couple who were found dead in a Farm Avenue home earlier this month.
The announcement from the Essex district attorney’s office came after the arraignment of a second suspect who allegedly participated in the killings of Jennifer O’Connor, 40, and Mark Greenlaw, 37.
Greenlaw died of a gunshot wound to the head and O’Connor sustained fatal stab wounds to her neck and torso, the DA’s office said in a statement. Prosecutors allege Wes Doughty, 39, and Michael Hebb, 45, inflicted the fatal wounds, but they didn’t release further details.
Earlier Tuesday, Doughty, a Danvers resident, was ordered held without bail on two counts of murder at his arraignment in Peabody District Court. He returned to Massachusetts to face the allegations after fleeing to South Carolina, authorities said. Not-guilty pleas were entered on his behalf.
No details about the murders were revealed at the arraignment. Doughty is scheduled to return to court April 6 for a probable-cause hearing.
Hebb, a Peabody resident, was arrested on Feb. 20 and is being held without bail after pleading not guilty to two counts of first-degree murder.
Investigators spent much of last week searching for Doughty, who allegedly abducted 64-year-old Ken Metz at knifepoint Wednesday evening in Middleton. Metz said Doughty tied him up with a seat belt in Metz’s 2006 Honda Accord and drove him to a liquor store in Boston, where Metz escaped.
Doughty allegedly drove off in Metz’s car. Last Friday, Spartanburg County Sheriff’s investigators spotted Doughty in Boiling Springs, S.C., and arrested him on soliciting charges and then checked national databases and learned he was wanted for the murders and the carjacking.
Judge James Barretto allowed a prosecution request to impound Doughty’s arrest warrant, and a court official said search warrants associated with the case have also been sealed.
Doughty will probably be arraigned Thursday in Salem District Court on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon on a person 60 or older, armed carjacking, and kidnapping related to the alleged abduction in Middleton, said Carrie Kimball Monahan, a spokeswoman for the DA’s office.
Barretto also approved a defense request to spend $2,000 to hire a private investigator, court records show. Attorney John Apruzzese, who represents Doughty, spoke briefly with reporters.
“Everyone has heard the Commonwealth’s version of events. Today the defense investigation begins. As more facts come out, we’ll let you know,” he said.Laura Crimaldi can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @lauracrimaldi.