fb-pixel Skip to main content

Maura Healey weighing legal options on travel ban

Attorney General Maura Healey announced that her office is taking action challenging Trump's Executive Order on Immigration.Jessica Rinaldi/ Globe Staff

BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey says she’s considering all legal options in response to President Donald Trump’s reworked travel ban.

The Democrat calls the ban misguided and describes it as ‘‘a clear attempt to resurrect a discredited order and fulfill a discriminatory and unconstitutional campaign promise.’’

The Republican president on Monday released a new version of the temporary ban that he revised after a federal judge blocked his old one last month. The ban issued Monday would bar new visas for citizens from six Muslim-majority countries and temporarily shut down America’s refugee program. It leaves Iraq off the list but affects people from Iran, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen and Libya. It goes into effect March 16.

Advertisement



Healey, who joined a lawsuit over the original version of the ban, wasn’t the only Massachusetts Democrat voicing opposition.

Sen. Edward Markey calls the ban discriminatory and says it will serve as a ‘‘recruitment tool’’ for terrorists. Congressman Seth Moulton says the ban targets men, women, and children fleeing persecution.

Boston Mayor Martin Walsh says the city will stand by its immigrant community.

“While this administration is packaging this as a new and improved executive order, it is the same ban that discriminates against the same people. It was wrong the first time and it’s wrong the second,” Walsh said in a statement.

New Hampshire’s Democratic congressional delegation said Monday that changes to Trump’s revised travel ban still left them feeling as if it was more about politics than security.

U.S. Sen. Maggie Hassan said she supported improving the vetting process but didn’t believe the revised ban would achieve that. She noted that the Department of Homeland Security’s ‘‘own analysis showed no intelligence basis for the ban, and former defense and intelligence officials from both parties have said that the ban would make us less safe.’’

Advertisement



‘‘Despite the changes, this is just another attempt by the Trump Administration at a backdoor Muslim ban — with Trump’s own advisers admitting that the goals are the same as his previous executive order,’’ Hassan said in a statement.

U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, who met with an Iraqi refugee and his family at their grocery store in Manchester on Monday, said, ‘‘Arbitrarily imposing travel restrictions on certain Muslim-majority countries only makes us less safe by reinforcing terrorist propaganda and recruitment.’’

‘‘President Trump is recklessly pursuing a campaign promise at the expense of fundamental American values and our safety,’’ Shaheen said. ‘‘The Trump administration’s decision to delay this revised ban in order to maximize positive press coverage sends a clear message that this directive is about politics, not national security.’’

New Hampshire’s two representatives each released statements condemning the ban.


Associated Press writer Michael Casey contributed to this story.