HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — State and Hartford health officials are investigating a possible norovirus outbreak at the Connecticut Convention Center and a neighboring hotel.
Dr. Gary Rhule, Hartford’s health director, said Friday that about 20 students and several adults got sick at the convention center and Hartford Marriott Downtown during an event last week sponsored by the Connecticut Music Educators Association. He said two other groups experienced similar symptoms at the hotel last weekend and this week.
Rhule says the symptoms included vomiting. The highly contagious norovirus can be transmitted from an infected person, contaminated food and water or by touching a contaminated surface.
Officials are interviewing affected people and testing samples they provided.
The hotel has been ordered to close its ballroom and surrounding areas so cleaning can be done.