Keith Bedford/Globe staff
1. Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez was discovered hanging in his cell Wednesday morning at approximately 3:05 a.m.
2. Hernandez used a bedsheet that he attached to his window and also attempted to block his door from the inside by jamming it with various items.
3. He was transported to UMass Memorial in Leominster, where he was pronounced dead at 4:07 a.m.
4. Investigators are poring over his cell but so far have not found anything that resembles a suicide note.
5. Hernandez’s suicide comes five days after he was acquitted of murdering two men in Boston in 2012.
6. Hernandez was already serving a life sentence for the murder of Odin Lloyd.
“There’s not a human there,” said one woman. “You’d see nothing in his eyes.”Continue reading »
Gerard Beirne absorbed his life-shaping lessons at the knee of his grandfather in a home across the Atlantic Ocean.Continue reading »
Soon-to-open dispensaries say no banks have come forward to provide services.Continue reading »
America is wrenching your children away from you at the border, but don’t blame us.Continue reading »
New Hampshire authorities say two Massachusetts hikers who got lost in the White Mountains were carrying almost no useful gear or supplies.Continue reading »
Dangers in Haiti led a family to move to Boston, where a student’s diligence at a charter school separated her from the pack.Continue reading »
The Blue Cross Blue Shield report found that 8.6 percent of people in the Barnstable-Yarmouth area have been diagnosed with a type of skin cancer.Continue reading »
The churches want to launch an organized, progressive Christian voice to counter right-wing religious forces in US politics.Continue reading »
Harvard University’s own internal research raised alarms about how Asian-American applicants are treated by the college’s admissions process.Continue reading »